Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Practicing good casting fundamentals will put more Muskies in the boat each year

A recent mid-summer day on the lake was hot and sunny, typical of late July in the Midwest. My fishing partner and I were fishing a classic neck down area where I had caught numerous fish before during previous trips.

We were easing the boat towards a little micro bay of cabbage weed that had deep water access close by. It always seems to hold an aggressive musky or two each and every season.   

We were about fifty yards from the spot, and I was casting a copper/red Bucher tail along a steep rock wall that dropped into twenty-eight feet of water while my fishing partner opted for crank bait.

While easing down the shoreline, I just happened to spot three little cabbage weed tops barely protruding the surface under a small overhanging birch tree. On a hunch, I fired a perfect cast just to the left of this little tiny clump of weeds, and as the buck tail neared the boat, I watched in awe as a chunky forty-seven inch musky shot out from that little weed pocket and literally engulfed the lure in front of my eyes!

After a fierce but brief struggle, the fish was resting in the Frabill, ready for pictures and release. The key to this musky encounter was my ability to fire a perfect cast to a tiny piece of cover. I believe many musky anglers, especially newcomers to the sport, overlook the importance of proper casting fundamentals, and I believe this oversight costs them numerous muskies in the boat each year.

In the weeks’ ahead we will discuss a number of key situations where an angler’s casting ability makes a big difference, and we will stress the importance of time on the water, along with knowing your equipment, and setting it up properly. Stay tuned!

Tight lines,
Ron

No comments: