Muskies are a difficult fish to catch. Patience, understanding, and luck are required to catch them.
- Find out as much as you can.
- Talk to people who fish the lake. See what's working and where.
- Don't be afraid to try something different.
- Watch the weather and moon phases, when windows open it can be great.
- Keep an eye on your lure. If you don't see the fish, you won't know they are there.
- Get polorized sunglasses. You will see a lot more.
- KNOW AND PERFECT THE FIGURE-EIGHT TECHNIQUE! muskies are best known for following the lure up to the boat and are tricky to hook, so the best way to counter this is the figure-eight. when the fish is by your boat move the lure in a fast and quick figure-eight motion. when the fish follows the lure to the surface, stick your rod in the water and use the figure-eight technique. this technique has been proven to work, and could make the difference between going home empty handed or going home with a trophy.
- Don't fish for muskies if you haven't done your research or don't know what you're doing.
- Make sure you're fishing legally. Know the seasons and requirements.
- Muskies are a very agressive species of fish(along with the northern pike) have been known to ram the boat when anglers raise their bait or lure out of the water. muskies are sometimes unpredictable and should ALWAYS be handled with care